^ Return to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

Parking & Traffic

Where can visitors park? Since we have no control over when visitors will be arriving on our campus it is the responsibility of the students, faculty, and staff to inform their guests about parking regulations. The best way to help your visitor is to bring him or her to the police department so they may obtain a temporary visitor parking permit and we can explain the parking to them. If visitors park at metered parking spaces they are expected to pay to park there. No one is exempt from paying the meters.
Are visitor parking permits free? Yes.
Can I move my permit from car to car? Yes.
What if I arrive on campus and realize I have forgotten my permit in another car? We have temporary permits. You simply need to come to the police department before you park and request a temporary parking permit. You will be required to present your UCA ID. A temporary permit will allow you to park where you normally do.
What do I do if I lost my permit? Report the lost permit immediately to the police department Parking & Traffic Services. Replacement of lost faculty/staff permits is not allowed. You will be required to purchase a new permit in order to park on campus. Student permits may be replaced at a cost of $5.00.
Why is enforcement inconsistent? Think of it this way: not every person who goes speeding down the highway gets a ticket. But, anyone who goes speeding down the highway is subject to getting a ticket, should that individual be caught. Ask yourself what kind of resources would be required to ensure that every violator be apprehended, and the reason for inconsistent enforcement becomes obvious.
What should I do when "There's somebody in my reserve space"? Contact the police department or stop by and we will work with you to resolve the situation.
Do not park in others' reserved space. This exacerbates the problem and could possibly result in your car being ticketed or towed.

Motorist Assistance

My car battery died. Can you give me a jump-start? Yes.
I locked my keys in my car. Can you unlock my vehicle? Yes, if you are a current student or faculty/staff member and your vehicle is on campus.
I have a flat tire. Can you help me change it? In most cases, no. However, we will assist you with contacting a service company to assist you.

Law Enforcement

Are UCA Police officers really police officers? Yes. UCA Police officers are really police officers. They attended a 12-13 week basic law enforcement training academy and are certified by the Arkansas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Training. UCA Police officers' training does not stop at the academy. Officers are also required to complete a 12 week field training program and, throughout their time at UCA PD, receive in-service training ranging from firearms, CPR, first aid, legal updates, community oriented policing issues, defensive tactics, use of force, and domestic violence just to name a few.
Why do they ask so many questions when I call the police? The police dispatchers are trained to get as much information as possible to best determine the nature of the problem and its seriousness. On emergency calls, the dispatcher has already sent the information to the officer while asking additional questions.
Why did it take so long for the police to arrive when I called them? All requests for police service are assigned by priority, based on the seriousness of the incident, the potential for injury, or damage to property. At times, calls of less urgent nature must be delayed so that we may respond immediately to emergencies.
Are weapons allowed on campus? No. UCA prohibits weapons of any kind on campus.
Click here for the UCA policy on weapons.
Can I make a police report at any time or day or do I need an appointment? The UCA Police Department will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week to requests for police service.
Can I make a police report over the phone or does a police officer have to come to my room or office? Most reports will require a police officer to be sent to your location. However, on occasions reports can be taken over the telephone.